Thursday, March 12, 2009

Coconut Pie

Another dessert! I’ve been making this pie for about 7 years now and it hasn’t failed me yet. It’s so easy especially since you can get ready-made pie crusts at the store – by all means feel free to make your own crust if that’s what you’re into. Even people who “say” they don’t like coconut actually like this pie. It’s unlike any Coconut Pie I have ever had, and trust me I’ve had my share of coconut pie (amongst others). It’s not a cream pie so that’s the first clue that it’s different – it’s more like a Chess pie. I’m not exactly sure where the recipe originated from, maybe off of a package of shredded coconut? Honestly I can’t remember . . . and I’m guessing it doesn’t matter. Just in case you don’t figure it out before you start mixing things up – this recipe makes 2 shallow pies. I DO NOT recommend putting the entire filling in one deep-dish pie shell. It simply won’t cook properly and nothing good will come of it!!

2 Cups Sugar
4 Eggs
2 Tablespoons Vanilla
1 Stick Melted Butter
1 Cup Shredded Coconut
2 Pie Crusts (regular 9” pie crust)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix first five ingredients and pour equal amounts into pie shells & bake at 350 degrees until golden brown (about 30 minutes or so).
  3. Cool until set – about 30 minutes. Pies can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. If refrigerated allow pies to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.

No comments: