This recipe is greatly inspired by Martha Stewart's Anise Drops which are very much like a cookie my husband grew up with in NY called Saviato (sp). I have been looking for the Saviato (sp) recipe for about 5 years now. I made a few adjustments and my version, which I've tested twice now, is below. I plan to try them with Almond Extract as well =)! Original recipe for Anise Drops at marthastewart.com.
1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon course salt
3 Large Eggs
1 1/4 Cups Sugar
3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon Anise Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix eggs with electric mixer until fluffy (about 3 min) in a medium sized bowl. Beat sugar into the egg mixture; add Extracts and continue to beat.
- Slowly add the flour until well incorporated; then add the salt and the baking powder; mix well. At this point let the mixture rest allowing the baking powder to develop -- 5 to 7 minutes.
- Using a spoon scoop the dough, it will spread, into rounds onto parchment lined baking sheets, spacing 1/2 inch apart.
NOTE: I like to very lightly spray my parchment with PAM Cooking Spray
- Bake cookies until the tops crack -- the cookies will be very pale, 8 to 9 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool.
If anyone tries this and makes changes/substitutions I would love to hear about it -- just add a comment! Thanks and Enjoy!