- 1 package(s) (14-ounce) package frozen all-butter puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 6 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) grated lemon zest
- 3 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, quartered
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, melted
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with sides with parchment paper.
- Unfold puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into quarters crosswise and thirds lengthwise to make 12 squares. Transfer 6 squares to each cookie sheet, about 3 inches apart, and refrigerate while cutting apples.
- Mix sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl. Cut apple quarters into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Working with one sheet at a time, arrange apple slices slightly overlapping on each pastry square, leaving 1/4-inch border. Brush apples with half of butter and sprinkle with half of lemon sugar, using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each square. Using a sharp knife, score the pastry around the border of each square (like a picture frame).
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until pastry is well browned and apples are tender. Transfer tarts to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining pastry, apples, butter, and sugar mixture.