Friday, December 19, 2008

Blue Cheese & Maple Bacon Frittata

Mess to success! Well, I had a little trouble in the kitchen the other night. I was supposed to make Shrimp & Grits for the office holiday pot-luck the other day, but when I opened the package of Bacon (yep, lots of bacon in Shrimp & Grits) it smelled kinda funny -- like maple syrup. I looked at the package and, well, there it was in teeny-tiny letters "Maple Bacon" right on the package! My hubby had been kind enough to pick-up the bacon for me earlier in the week -- thanks honey =)! Of course I had started the project kind of late at night and I REALLY didn't want to go to the store in my jammies. After doing a quick check of the fridge I saw that I had enough eggs to make yet another FRITTATA -- my new favorite thing! This basic recipe saved my butt once again. This latest version (with Maple Bacon of course) turned out to be a big hit at the office party -- there's no stoppin' me now!

1 Package of Maple Bacon, cut into 1/4" pieces (WHOLE package)
6 to 8 Green Onions sliced (green tops as well)
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
10 Large Eggs
2 to 3 Tablespoons Horse Radish (be sure to drain the juice)
2 to 3 Ounces Blue Cheese Crumbles
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook bacon until crisp in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix in the horse radish. Pour egg mixture over the bacon and onion in the skillet, stir once, turn off heat and crumble the cheese over the top.
  3. Transfer to oven and bake until the center is set, 18 to 20 minutes. Slide out of the skillet and cut into squares before serving warm or at room temperature.

No comments: