Saturday, February 7, 2009

Saviato Cookies

This recipe is greatly inspired by Martha Stewart's Anise Drops which are very much like a cookie my husband grew up with in NY called Saviato (sp). I have been looking for the Saviato (sp) recipe for about 5 years now. I made a few adjustments and my version, which I've tested twice now, is below. I plan to try them with Almond Extract as well =)! Original recipe for Anise Drops at marthastewart.com.

1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon course salt
3 Large Eggs
1 1/4 Cups Sugar
3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon Anise Extract
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix eggs with electric mixer until fluffy (about 3 min) in a medium sized bowl. Beat sugar into the egg mixture; add Extracts and continue to beat.
  3. Slowly add the flour until well incorporated; then add the salt and the baking powder; mix well. At this point let the mixture rest allowing the baking powder to develop -- 5 to 7 minutes.
  4. Using a spoon scoop the dough, it will spread, into rounds onto parchment lined baking sheets, spacing 1/2 inch apart.
    NOTE: I like to very lightly spray my parchment with PAM Cooking Spray
  5. Bake cookies until the tops crack -- the cookies will be very pale, 8 to 9 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool.

If anyone tries this and makes changes/substitutions I would love to hear about it -- just add a comment! Thanks and Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these. Reminds me of the cookies my grandmother used to get for me in the Italian neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Kate said...

This is very similar to a recipe that has been in my family for years. My sister and I try to recreate these every yeaer for my dad. We leave out the vanilla and we let them sit over night on the cookiie sheet. The whoel point it to get these "caps" to form on the cookies - that's what my dad remembers most about the cookies. I love that anise cookies seem to have so many family memeories for so many people.