Tuesday, November 24, 2009

You Need Goya Crackers to Make Uneeda Stuffing

The plan this Thanksgiving was for me to make my mother-in-law's stuffing recipe. The recipe calls for Uneeda Biscuits -- I need a what?! I had NEVER heard of Uneeda Biscuits -- and as it turns out the maker, Nabisco, discontinued the popular (or not so popular?) biscuits (a.k.a. crackers) in 2008.

I ONLY found this out because I didn't know what they were so I proceeded to do some online research -- that's when I found out the biscuits don't exist anymore. Lucky for me I found a suitable replacement, thanks to Chefpaulo on the CHOW Food and Cooking Resource Web Page -- CHOW is great resource by the way.

1 12 oz Bag of Goya Crackers crushed (check international aisle)
2 Onions chopped
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Dash of Milk
Dash of Chicken Stock or Broth
Salt & Pepper to taste
  1. Cook chopped onion in Olive Oil until translucent.
  2. Add crushed crackers to cooked onion.
  3. Add Milk and Chicken Stock just to moisten the mixture a little.
  4. Salt & Pepper to taste.
  5. Stuff the turkey just before putting it in the oven and cook the turkey until done -- um, yeah.
I have to say -- this is NOT at all like any stuffing recipe I have ever made in the past. I haven't made it yet, so I'm not willing to vouch for it (YET). I will add more info and pics after I have tried it! Happy Thanksgiving Everyone -- Enjoy!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you try the stuffing with the Goya crackers. If so, how was it?

KayBeth said...

I did try it and unfortunately I did not like it at all. I grew up with bread stuffing that has lots of celery, onion, poultry seasoning ... and butter ... the Goya cracker stuffing just didn't do it for me at all.

Unknown said...

can you tell us what is the ratio of the old uneeda to the Goya. We used uneeda in an old stone fruit dumpling recipe. Thankfully Goa came to our rescue but, since the Nabisco box is not around, we are having difficulty determining how many Goya to use.

Maureen said...

Oysterettes work in lieu of Uneeda Biscuits. My late mother-in-law always used Uneeda Biscuits and my father used to eat them soaked in milk when he didn't feel well - comfort food. Our recipe for stuffing called for the Uneeda Biscuits crumbled and soaked in milk with a couple of eggs (# depends on how much Biscuits you use. Add chopped canned or fresh mushrooms, chopped onion, celery, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning. I keep a jar/can of turkey gravy on hand in case the dressing comes out a bit dry (if I overbake) and I poke holes in the stuffing and put it in the holes then mix the stuffing a bit. She used to also cook a lb or 2 of chopped meat and add it. My mother used to use sausage meat from the freezer section of the food store. My father used to like her to add chestnuts. Unfortunately, as we peeled the chestnuts after cooking them, we ate more than we had for the stuffing. I do not use chopped beef but sausage. Try it and enjoy.

Unknown said...

Just happy to finally find some similar alternatives to the absence of the beloved Uneeda cracker! I grew up with this in our Thanksgiving dressing.

dmac said...

I tried the Oysterettes and they did not work for me. The stuffing was too mushy. Went back to Nabisco saltines. Uneeda crackers made the best stuffing. So many good things get discontinued. Makes me crazy.

RosieLynn said...

Maybe if we all get together we can convince Nabisco to brighten back.
My mom would butter 2 and make a sandwick and dunk them in coffee. We just Buttered them and ate the whole box!!

Anonymous said...

I heard that cream crackers were similar to Uneeda.

Anonymous said...

I used these crackers for my stuffing. It was nothing like Uneeda crackers. The crackers were hard and didn't soak up the milk like uneeda. I was really disappointed

Anonymous said...

Yes! My great aunt used unread biscuits for her stuffing. We all loved it. I have substituted Cuban crackers now for years. My aunts called for onions, celery, eggs, salt and pepper and a roll of sausage. I am making it today!

Anonymous said...

My grandmother always made dressing using Uneeda Biscuits. We have been using the Westminster Oyster crackers. They are closest we have found to Uneeda. They are not hollow like most oyster crackers. We tried the Goya crackers but love the Westminster more. And we are Cuban.