Tuesday, November 24, 2009

You Need Goya Crackers to Make Uneeda Stuffing

The plan this Thanksgiving was for me to make my mother-in-law's stuffing recipe. The recipe calls for Uneeda Biscuits -- I need a what?! I had NEVER heard of Uneeda Biscuits -- and as it turns out the maker, Nabisco, discontinued the popular (or not so popular?) biscuits (a.k.a. crackers) in 2008.

I ONLY found this out because I didn't know what they were so I proceeded to do some online research -- that's when I found out the biscuits don't exist anymore. Lucky for me I found a suitable replacement, thanks to Chefpaulo on the CHOW Food and Cooking Resource Web Page -- CHOW is great resource by the way.

1 12 oz Bag of Goya Crackers crushed (check international aisle)
2 Onions chopped
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Dash of Milk
Dash of Chicken Stock or Broth
Salt & Pepper to taste
  1. Cook chopped onion in Olive Oil until translucent.
  2. Add crushed crackers to cooked onion.
  3. Add Milk and Chicken Stock just to moisten the mixture a little.
  4. Salt & Pepper to taste.
  5. Stuff the turkey just before putting it in the oven and cook the turkey until done -- um, yeah.
I have to say -- this is NOT at all like any stuffing recipe I have ever made in the past. I haven't made it yet, so I'm not willing to vouch for it (YET). I will add more info and pics after I have tried it! Happy Thanksgiving Everyone -- Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you try the stuffing with the Goya crackers. If so, how was it?

KayBeth said...

I did try it and unfortunately I did not like it at all. I grew up with bread stuffing that has lots of celery, onion, poultry seasoning ... and butter ... the Goya cracker stuffing just didn't do it for me at all.