The twist? I'm trying to eat healthier and salmon is on the top of that "list". Of course it's on the "list" . . . it's something I don't like . . . where's the love for Pop Tarts? I put out an APB for some recipes or tricks to making salmon taste good, boy was I surprised by the response. No one likes Salmon.
Out of 78 followers polled only 1 follower goes out of their way to put salmon on their dinner plate.
Who is that follower and why does she do it? It's Victoria Conwell Lane, the Owner and Coach at Top Flyte Cheerleading in Franklin, TN, and she has some great salmon recipes -- that's why!
One of the recipes Victoria shared with me is Salmon with Pesto & Pistachio Nuts and it is to die for. My hubby and I both loved it. There's something about the roasted nut flavor that really cuts the strong flavor of the salmon.
Pesto Sauce -- use your favorite brand or make your own
Roasted Pistachio Kernels -- find them in the snack section
5oz to 7 oz Salmon fillets -- you can make 1 or 10 this way
- Allow salmon fillets to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes
- Smear pesto sauce all over the fish
- Place salmon in the oven 6-inches from broiler. Cook salmon for approximately 15 minutes, times will vary with your particular oven
- During the last few minutes of cooking remove salmon from oven and add the crushed pistachio nuts to the top as a crust, just press them in a bit
NOTE: At this point you can even add a little more pesto to the top of each fillet before you add the nuts -- I DID!
- Return to Broiler and cook for an additional 2 or 3 minutes or until the nuts start to toast nicely -- watch it closely at this point!!